Last reviewed on 02/11/2012 17:24

Previous - First Aid

Official paperwork

Every company is required to register with the appropriate agencies. In this section, we look at the main paperwork required to conform to the relevant Health and Safety legislation.

The average business will need to have:

  • the poster Health and Safety Law: What you Should Know, obtainable from HSE Books
  • an Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Certificate, which must be displayed in the workplace
  • if you have more than five employees you are legally obliged to have a written Health and Safety Policy, together with a record of the significant findings of your Risk Assessment exercise
  • an Accident Book
  • in which to record all accidents that occur in the workplace, no matter how minor. The Information Commissioner has ruled that businesses must ensure that their Accident Book complies with the Data Protection Act by 31 December 2003.

HSE has produced a new Accident Book (BI510), which allows the individual records (with the personal details of the staff involved) to be removed and kept separately.

Reporting incidents

If an incident in the workplace has to be reported under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), you must contact the Incident Contact Centre via the RIDDOR website (external link). All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service remains for reporting fatal and major injuries only. Call the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923. Work-related incidents that must be reported include:

  • death
  • major injuries
  • injuries that cause a person to take time off work, or prevents them from working normally, for seven or more days
  • injuries which result in members of the public being taken to hospital
  • work-related diseases
  • dangerous occurrences (where something happens that could have resulted in a reportable injury but did not).

back to top

Next - Slips, Trips and Falls